Saturday 24 June 2017

Steam Summer Sale Now On


Full Disclosure: I am not affiliated with Steam in any way, nor do I gain any commission from anything in this blog post, I am merely a happy customer!

Attention all HTC Vive and Oculus Rift owners, the Steam Summer sale is now on!

If you've looked out for previous sales, then you will be well aware of the tradition of picking up multiple games for bargain prices, only to ever play about 25% of what you bought!

Well, if you are like me and you don't normally like to pay full game prices for VR experiences, which can either be short or so-so in quality, then this Summer Sale also means something else, the opportunity to take a chance on some VR games without worrying about wasting too much money on games you end up not liking!

In just the first couple of days I have already picked up the following.

GameOriginal PriceDiscountSale PriceSaving
Monstrum£11.9975%£2.99£9.00
The Solus Project£14.9950%£7.49£7.50
Dead Secret£10.9960%£4.39£6.60
Twisted Arrow£14.9975%£3.74£11.25
Carnival Games® VR£15.9975%£3.99£12.00
Arcade Saga£14.9975%£3.74£11.25
Please, Don't Touch Anything 3D£10.9960%£4.39£6.60
Blue Effect VR£10.9950%£5.49£5.50
Total£105.9266%£36.22£69.70


You can pick up some great VR bargains in the sale!

As you can see, the Steam Sales are really the way to build up your VR library whilst minimising your risk. I don't mind paying a good price for a game I genuinely enjoy, but the trouble with the VR market is that it is really still dominated by Indie games developers and, to be brutally honest, there are a lot of short, boring, technically poor and/or "early access" games out there.

I don't mind taking a punt on a VR game for £3.99. At that price, if it turns out to be a bad game, it's only a few quid, whereas if I'd spent £16 on it I'd be more upset. Plus, this is a great chance for me to get some games I can review for my blog, for your pleasure of course! 😀

I considered burning through my newly acquired list of VR games, to give each a couple of hours play and have a chance to review them for you guys so you still had a chance to pick them up in the sale. But, upon reflection, I thought the trouble with that is that some games can seem really fun for the first couple of hours, then you discover that the rest of the game is pretty much the same (like No Man's Sky, a huge disappointment), so I'm not going to do that. If you want to take advantage of the Steam Sales then you'll need to take a punt like I am, but by the time the Steam Winter Sale comes out, I'll have some reviews out.

This game is a bargain at twice the current price!

A final note before I finish. My next post, which will be out today also, is a review of Subnautica. Prior to the Steam sale, this is the only VR game I've actually paid money for, I did so after a lot of research and I paid full price. My next post is a review of this game and it is now in the sale at half price. I was already happy to have bought this game at full price, so I totally recommend you buy Subnautica now whilst the sale is on. The genre is exploration/survival but the water element makes it huge fun!

GameOriginal PriceDiscountSale PriceSaving
Subnautica£14.9950%£7.49£7.50

I'm working on my Subnautica review to be published today, so keep hitting that refresh button if you are keen to see it!


No comments:

Post a Comment